- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups pitted cherries, drained
- 4 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 3 tbsp. Kirsch
- 2 tbsp. clear corn syrup
- 2 cups shaved semi-sweet chocolate
- 10-15 maraschino cherries, for garnish
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare a greased and floured 9-inch round cake pan.
- Cream eggs and sugar together until stiff. Combine flour and cocoa; slowly stir into egg mixture, beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely on a wire rack. Cut cakes into 3 layers.
- Place bottom layer on a large cake plate, spoon cherries on top; fold 1 tbsp. Kirsch into whipped cream and spread a 1/2 in. layer over cherries; top with next cake layer.
- Pour corn syrup over cake and sprinkle with remaining Kirsch; spread another 1/2 in. of whipped cream over cake. Place top layer of cake on whipped cream; spread whipped cream over top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate, rosettes of whipped cream and maraschino cherries.
- Makes 1 cake.