Mellow mocha goes well with so many flavors. Use this buttercream as a filling or frosting for chocolate, fruit, custard or nut cakes.
· 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
· 2 tbsp. strong, brewed espresso
· 2 tbsp. coffee liqueur
· 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 6 egg yolks, at room temperature
· 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
Cooking Procedures :
1. Stir chocolate in hot espresso until melted. Stir in liqueur and vanilla and then set aside to cool.
2. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, uncovered, and boil until syrup dropped into a glass of water forms a soft ball (234°F/112°F).
3. Meanwhile, beat egg yolks in a bowl over hot water until light and thick. Remove from heat and beat syrup into yolks in a thin, slow stream. Continue to beat until the yolks have cooled.
4. Beat in butter, 1 tbsp. at a time, fully incorporating each piece before the next addition. Vigorously stir in coffee mixture, using a rubber spatula.
5. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate. To restore the texture of cold butter-cream, let it warm to room temperature and then stir vigorously.
6. Makes about 3 cups.