This is a variation on the European sponge, or genoise, which is piped into “fingers.” Ladyfingers are perfect for icebox cakes or the Tiramisu.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted twice
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- In a bowl, beat yolks with half the sugar until a thick ribbon falls from the beater when it is lifted. Beat in vanilla. Sift flour over yolks and fold in gently.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar, on low speed, until they begin to take shape. Increase speed to high and gradually beat in remaining sugar until whites are stiff.
- Fold whites into yolks and flour mixture in thirds.
- Quickly spoon into a piping bag and pipe 3 inch fingers onto prepared baking sheet. Dust with icing sugar.
- Place the sheet in the center of the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Alternatively, you can pipe the batter into an 8 or 9 inch drawn circle on the parchment and bake for 12 to 15 minutes and use as a cake base.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies.