· 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 2/3 cup oats
· 1/2 cup cornstarch
· 1/2 cup confectioners’ (icing) sugar, sifted
· 3/4 cup butter, softened
Cooking Procedures :
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Prepare ungreased cookie sheet and some cookie cutters. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, oats, cornstarch and confectioners’ (icing) sugar in a large bowl. With large spoon, blend in butter. Work with hands until soft, smooth dough forms. Shape into ball. If necessary, refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
3. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheet. Decorate if desired. Place cookie sheet in the center rack of the oven. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned (time will depend on cookie size).
4. Remove from the oven. Cool for 5 minutes on sheet and then transfer to rack and cool completely. Store in tightly covered container.
Shortbreads are one of the few cookies that are altered significantly when made with margarine. Although butter and margarine contribute the same amount of total fat to the recipe. Butter contains more saturated fat than most soft margarine.