The first time I cook this oven barbecue baby back ribs, my kids asked me why they are called baby back ribs and even suggested that they came from a baby pig. Honestly, I didn’t answer them because I didn’t know the right answer. So, I’ve made a simple research why they are called a such.
They are name not the age of the hog, but because they are the small size of ribs compared to the larger pork spareribs. Pork spareribs are the actual ribs of a hog while baby back ribs are basically the spine and part of the ribs. They are located at the upper part of the pork rib cage, next to the loin along the back – the vertebrae section of the pork loin.
So, I told my kids that “Baby” refers to the small size of the ribs and “Back” refers to the fact that the ribs come from the backbone of the hog.
- 1 kg. (2 to 2-1/2 lb) baby back pork ribs, cut into 3 to 4 pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup barbecue(barbeque) sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Prepare a baking sheet and set aside.
- Rub salt and pepper to pork ribs to seasoned well. Let set for 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator.
- In a small saucepan, combine barbecue(barbeque) sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper and vegetable oil. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stirring constantly until well blended. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 3 to 6 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Cut pieces of aluminum foil into 14 inches (20 cm) sections. Place one section of rib in center of each piece of foil.
- Reserve 1 cup of marinade. Divide remaining marinade equally among rib sections. Fold up sides of aluminum foil and seal, making sure that steam cannot escape. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake ribs for 2 hours, or until tender and pulling away from the bone. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Preheat grill over medium heat.
- Grill cooked ribs, basting with reserved marinade for about 10 to 15 minutes or until caramelized and darkened.
- Transfer the oven barbecue baby back ribs to a serving platter. You may wish to slice into serving pieces and serve with your favorite sauce. Enjoy!
Check these Tips: