- 1 lb. lean pork
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup apple juice (or water)
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 carrots, cut in (5 cm) pieces
- 2 apples, peeled and quartered
- 5 small potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas
Cooking Procedures :
- Cut pork into 1 inch cubes. In a bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add pork and shake to coat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the oil over low heat. Cook onion for 5 minutes and transfer to a clean bowl.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Cook pork in batches until browned all over, adding more oil if needed. Add to bowl.
- Pour apple juice into the skillet. Bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom of the pan. Stir in mustard, vinegar and thyme. Return pork and onion to skillet. Add garlic, carrots and apples. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot.
- The apples in this super easy stew turn into a lovely sauce. Use pork shoulder, a leg steak, butt chops or a roast – whatever is on special.
- This delicious pork stew is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, B vitamins and phosphorus, iron, magnesium and zinc.