This dish is a Filipino version of Minestrone. It is popularly known as Sopas, a Filipino favorite pasta that can be good as snacks or a complete meal itself.
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 cups water
- 2 chicken thighs (bone-in)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (or shell macaroni)
- 3 Vienna sausages, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb. cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 4 chopped green onions, for garnish
Cooking Procedures :
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Set aside.
- Pour water to a stockpot and bring to a boil. Add chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cover; simmer for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Take out the chicken and let it cool. By using your hands (or two forks – one to tear the chicken meat and one to hold the bone) shred the meat of the cook chicken; discard the bones. Put shredded chicken back to the pot.
- Add sautéed onion and garlic, carrot, macaroni and sausages. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until macaroni is tender. Add cabbage and milk; simmer for another 5 more minutes. Serve into individual bowls and garnish with green onions.
- Serves 4 to 6.