- 2 cups (500 mL) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) carrots, diced
- 3 tbsp. (15mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) brown or black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) cumin seeds (preferably black)
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Prepare parchment-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- Prepare the Dough: In a food processor (or bowl with pastry blender), combine flour, cumin seeds and salt; pulse or cut in butter until in fine crumbs. Pulse or stir in milk until ball begins to form. Press into disc. Wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes and carrots, covered, until tender for about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Fry fennel, cumin and mustard seeds, turmeric, coriander and fenugreek seeds, and cayenne just until cumin seeds begin to pop, about 1 minute.
- Add garlic, onion, ginger and salt. Fry until softened for about 3 minutes. Stir in potato, carrot and peas. Stir in lemon juice and coriander. Let cool.
- Cut dough into 12 pieces; form into disc. On floured surface, roll out each to 6 in. (15cm) circle; cut in half. Working with 1 piece at a time, moisten half of the cut edge with water. Form cone shape by overlapping cut edges by 1/4 in. (5mm).
- Fill with rounded 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of the potato mixture. Moisten top inside edges of pastry; press to seal. Trim jagged edges. Crimp with fork.
- In a wok (or deep saucepan), heat oil to 350°F (180°C). Fry samosas (in batches) until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined tray. If you’d rather skip the frying, omit oil for frying pan and bake the samosas in 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve with warm Fresh Coriander Chutney for dipping.
Tips: Let samosas cool completely. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours. Or freeze on waxed paper-lined tray; transfer to airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Reheat in 350°F (180°C) oven until heated through, 10 to 20 minutes.)