This differs from regular buttercream in that it is made with egg whites rather than yolks. Cake decorators like this frosting`s satiny smooth finish.
Choose a liqueur that complements the flavor of your cake.
· 4 egg whites, at room temperature
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
· 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
· 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
· 2 tbsp. créme de cacao (or preferred liqueur)
Cooking Procedures :
1. In a bowl, whip egg whites with sugar and cream of tartar.
2. Place bowl in a wide pot with enough simmering water to immerse bowl to the level of the eggs. Beat whites until they are warmed, no more than 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whip until cool, thick and glossy.
3. Beat in butter, 1 tbsp. at a time, fully incorporating each piece before the next addition. Slowly beat in vanilla and créme de cacao.
4. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate. To restore the texture of cold buttercream, let it warm to room temperature and then stir vigorously.
5. Makes about 3 cups.