These savoury scones can be made by hand or in a food processor. If you are using a food processor, stir in the milk by hand.
Serve these as a bread with dinner or as a base for smoked salmon, cheese or paté. Make mini scones as an hors d’oeuvre (bake for 8 to 10 minutes) and top with fig chutney and Brie or other cheese.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp. cracked fennel seeds
- 6 tbsp. milk
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare an ungreased baking sheet.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter and sprinkle with dill and fennel. Work dough with your fingers until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add milk and mix with a fork or your fingers until dough just forms a ball. Do not overmix, or biscuits will be tough.
- Place dough on a floured board and knead for 1 minute. Roll or pat out until 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch rounds and arrange onto prepared sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
- Makes about 12 scones.