This is an easy traditional chocolate cake with lots of flavour and a moist texture.
· 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup cocoa powder
· 1 tsp. baking soda
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 1 tsp. vanilla
· 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
· 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
· 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
· 1/3 cup deli-style cream cheese
· 2 tbsp. orange liqueur or Kahlua (optional)
Chocolate Butter Glaze
· 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
· 1/4 cup butter
· 1 tsp. corn syrup
Cooking Procedures :
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare a 9-inch springform pan. Butter sides, dust with flour and line bottom with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sifted dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, and blending lightly between additions, ending with flour mixture. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate until batter is a uniform colour.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until cake is firm to touch and a tester comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
5. Prepare chocolate filling while cake is baking. Melt chocolate in a heavy pot over low heat. Stir in butter, cream cheese and liqueur (if using). Remove pot from heat and let cool for 20 minutes, or until spreadable.
6. Trim top of cake so it is flat and smooth. Slice cake in half horizontally with a large serrated knife. Spread bottom half of cake with chocolate filling and place top half over filling.
7. Prepare chocolate glaze by combining chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a heavy pot over low heat. Stir until melted. Pour glaze over top of cake, letting it drip down sides.
8. Makes 8 servings.