It’s a treat. They’re not too sweet and really chocolatey. They’re especially good warm when the chocolate chunks are still soft and melty.
· 3/4 stick unsalted butter
· 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 2/3 cup sugar
· 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
· 1 tbsp. baking powder
· 1/2 tsp. baking soda
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
· 1 large egg
· 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Cooking Procedures :
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter or spray 12 molds regular size muffin pan or lined with paper cups. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet and set aside.
2. In a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the butter and half of the chopped chocolate together, or you can do this in the microwave. Remove from the heat.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg and vanilla together until well combined.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients and chocolate mixture over the dry ingredients and, with whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don’t worry about being thorough – a few lumps are better than over mixing the batter.
5. Stir in the remaining chopped chocolate. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for about 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold. Makes 12 muffins.