- 1-1/2 cup unsweetened strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
Cooking Procedures :
- Wash and hull fresh strawberries (or thaw frozen strawberries, if using).
- In a blender (or food processor), blend strawberries and apple juice until almost smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, combine strawberry mixture, sugar and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat while stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Combine water and cornstarch. Pour into hot mixture. Cook for about 3 minutes or until thickened and clear.
- Remove from heat. Set aside and let it cool (or you may chill for an hour). Pour into an 8 inch square pan. Cover and freeze for about 3 hours or until firm.
- Break frozen mixture into chunks and beat with electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm.
- Remove from freezer to refrigerator about 15 minutes before serving.
- The perfect low-fat ending to any meal. This sorbet can be made with almost any fruit. Try raspberries, peaches, blueberries, kiwi fruit, cantaloupe or any other seasonal fruit.
- Beating the sorbet during the freezing process helps to keep it from becoming too solid and helps to reduce the formation of ice crystals.
- Sorbet is a cool and elegant way to serve fruit and end any meal, particularly during the summer. The strawberries in this recipe are a good source of vitamin C.