These are best eaten as soon as they are made, but you can also make them ahead and reheat at 400°F for 3 minutes.
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne (or more, to taste)
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
Cooking Procedures :
- In a bowl, combine buttermilk, cayenne and onions. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- On a plate, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Remove onions from buttermilk with tongs. Toss onions in flour until lightly coated.
- Heat about 2 inches oil in a wok or skillet to 350°F, or until a cube of bread turns brown in 15 seconds. Fry rings, in batches, for about 2 minutes, or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Makes 4 servings.