This crunchy, easy-to-make cracker bread keeps very well in an airtight container. Reheat it for 5 minutes in a 350°F oven to make sure it is nice and crisp before serving.
It makes a great afternoon snacks or little nibble with drinks and is superb with cheese. The seeds and nuts can be altered to your taste.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. kosher or Maldon salt
Cooking Procedures :
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, butter, fennel and walnuts in a food processor. Process until butter is size of peas. Blend in enough water to bring dough together (you may need slightly more or less than 3/4 cup).
- Transfer dough to a bowl and knead lightly until it forms a ball. Flatten dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare an ungreased baking sheets.
- Divide dough into four pieces. Roll out each piece as thinly as possible on a floured surface (shape can be irregular). Transfer to prepared sheet and prick with a fork. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in the centre of the oven (you may have to bake these one at a time) for about 18 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Cool on a rack. Break up crackers into smaller pieces.
- Makes 10 servings.