- 1-1/2 lb. pork, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
- 1-1/2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. five spice powder
- red chili peppers
- 2 green onions (scallions), chopped, for garnishing
- oil, for frying
Cooking Procedures :
- In a heavy-based pan, heat oil. Add pork cubes and stir-fry until turn into lightly brown. Add garlic and onions and cook until onions are soft and translucent. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, mix sugar with water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until liquid is golden.
- Remove from heat. Carefully add fish sauce and lime juice, which will spatter. Return to heat and stirring quickly to remove any lumps and until the sauce reduces a little.
- Meanwhile, return the pan with the pork mixture to reheat. Add salt, five-spice powder and chili peppers. Stir to blend. Add in the caramel sauce and cook for a minute, stirring to combine.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle green onions (scallions) on top and serve.