· several sprigs of dried or fresh tarragon, rosemary, thyme, basil or bay leaves
· pinch of salt
· red or white wine vinegar
· red or white wine
Cooking Procedures :
PLACE the mixed herbs in a sterilized bottle and add the salt.
ALMOST fill the bottle with vinegar, about seven eights full and then top off with a little wine, using red wine with red wine vinegar, and white wine with white wine vinegar.
This recipe is a good way to use small quantities of wine left over after a dinner party. The wine enriches the vinegar, giving it a smoother, deeper flavor. The vinegar will keep for 1 month. To keep it longer, strain off the herbs after they have infused the vinegar for a week.
· Keep a selection of oils and vinegars steeped with favorite spices and herbs for marinades and vinaigrettes.
· Many will keep up to 1 year in a dark place, though any containing fruits may deteriorate more rapidly.
· To sterilize containers, boil for 10 minutes, drain and dry in a low oven.