· 4 tbsp. soft butter
· 3 tbsp. flour
· 1 cup hot milk
· salt and white pepper
· 1 cup and 1 tbsp. grated Swiss cheese
· 4 egg yolks
· 6 egg whites
Cooking Procedures :
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 8 cup soufflé dish with soft butter and set aside. Tie a well-buttered paper collar around it to hold the soufflé as it rises when baked.
2. Melt 3 tbsp. butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook over low heat stirring constantly for a minute or so. Be sure not to brown this roux.
3. Remove from heat and add hot milk beating vigorously until blended. Season and then return to low heat. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until smooth.
4. Beat egg yolks and add some of hot mixture beating constantly and then pour it back into the sauce. Stir and add 1 tbsp. cheese into sauce.
5. Beat egg whites until they are stiff and hold shape. Using a spatula, carefully fold in egg whites onto yolk mixture.
6. Gently pour into each soufflé dish. Carefully smooth the top and then sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in the middle rack of oven and reduce oven heat to 375°F, for about 25 to 30 minutes.
7. Serve immediately.