- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cup Arborio rice (or other short-grain rice)
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock, see recipe)
- 3/4 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. saffron threads, crushed
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1/2 cup sliced unblanched almonds
- 2 hard cooked eggs, cut in wedges
- pepper, to taste
Cooking Procedures :
- In a paella pan (or a large deep skillet), heat oil over medium-high heat. Add red pepper, onion and garlic, and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes until thickened and most of the liquids evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Stir in rice to coat. Stir in stock, salt (if using) and saffron. Return skillet to heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes or until rice is almost done.
- Cut and discard the toughest woody ends of the asparagus. Slice each asparagus spear into thirds crosswise and arrange over rice. Cook, covered for about 5 to 8 minutes or until asparagus are tender and rice is done and all the liquids absorbed. Using a fork, stir in almonds.
- Remove from heat. Serve garnished with eggs and sprinkled with pepper to taste.