- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 8 thin slices white (or whole grain) bread
- 2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
Cooking Procedures :
- In a shallow dish, beat eggs and milk together; set aside. Cut crusts from bread, if desired.
- Combine cheese, mustard and enough mayonnaise to make mixture paste-like but not wet. Spread mixture thickly on all 8 slices of bread.
- Place slice of ham on 4 of the slices spread with cheese; cover with remaining slices, cheese side down. Dip both sides of each sandwich into the egg mixture.
- Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan. Brown the sandwiches on each side for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Makes 4 sandwiches.