- 2 cup macaroni pasta
- 1/2 lb. low-fat Cheddar cheese, preferably old
- 1 can (540 mL) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. melted butter (or margarine)
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a well-greased deep (3 L) casserole. Set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water,cook macaroni until al dente for about 8 minutes. Drain well and transfer half to the prepared casserole.
- Meanwhile, shred half of the cheese and diced the other half. Sprinkle half of each cheese over cooked macaroni in casserole. Add with remaining macaroni and top with the remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl, toss together breadcrumbs with the butter. Stir to blend. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir together until well blended. Pour over macaroni and sprinkle evenly with the breadcrumbs mixture on top.
- Bake, uncovered for 40 to 50 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Prepare as directed except for baking. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. When ready to serve, bring to room temperature. Covered and bake at 350°F for an hour or until heated through.