- 30 pcs. (about 500 g) mini/cocktail hotdogs
- 15 bamboo barbecue sticks
- 1 tbsp. yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. fine salt
- 1/3 cup shortening (or softened butter)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour + extra 1/4 cup
- 2 tbsp. oil
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Prepare 2 oil-greased baking trays.
- Prepare the Dough: Put in a bowl, yeast, sugar and water. Let “bubble” for 5 minutes. Add salt, shortening (or softened butter), egg, milk. Mash with hands or a stand electric mixer like Kitchen Aid (using a dough hook). Gradually add the 4 cups of flour (one cup at a time). Take out the dough, place on a table and knead, adding 1/2 cup more flour. (If using a stand electric mixer, no need to knead on the table. Stop adding flour when you use up and have finished a total of 4-1/2 cups of flour.) Grease bowl with oil and coat dough thoroughly with it. Cover with plastic cling wrap and let rise until double for 25 to 30 minutes. (To test dip 2 fingers into flour and poke the dough. If it leaves a dent and doesn’t spring back it has doubled.)
- Dust your table and rolling pin with extra 1/4 cup flour. Put dough on top and roll out into a rectangle 15 x 6 in. then cut center of dough. Cut into 30 pieces with a knife (or dough cutter). Put hotdog in each dough pieces and roll tightly. Arrange each rolls, seam side down, on prepared trays.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg with 2 tbsp. milk (to make it shiny and golden brown); brush over rolls. Let rise 25 minutes then bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, put two mini hotdogs per barbecue stick. Ideal for afternoon snacks or cocktail parties.
Tip: Mini hotdogs can be half-baked for 15 minutes. Cool and then freeze up to two weeks. Thaw out and bake 10 minutes more.