These biscuits go superbly with smoked salmon, cheese or butter and marmalade. If you omit the baking powder, the texture will be crisper. You can also make them thinner than specified in the recipe—just reduce the baking time.
· 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
· 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
· 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
· 2 tsp. baking powder
· 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
· 1-1/2 tsp. salt
· 1 cup butter, cubed
· 1/4 cup water
Cooking Procedures :
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare ungreased baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas.
3. Stir in enough water to bring dough together and knead gently. Roll or pat out dough on a lightly floured surface until about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out biscuits using a 3 inch cookie cutter. Place on the prepared sheet.
4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly browned. Biscuits will crisp as they cool. Remove from baking sheets and cool on rack.
5. Makes about 20 biscuits.