- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 lb. stewing beef, cut into (4 cm) cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine (or additional beef stock)
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 5 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1-1/2 lb. potatoes
- 12 oz. green beans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Cooking Procedures :
- Combine flour, salt (if using) and pepper in a heavy plastic bag. In batches, add beef to flour mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a clean plate. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- In a Dutch oven (or a large saucepan), heat half the oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef in batches, adding more oil as needed until browned all over. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onions, garlic, thyme, marjoram, bay leaf and remaining flour mixture to pan. Cook and stirring occasionally for 4 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Add in wine (or additional beef stock, if using) and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, to scrape up brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Return beef and its juices to pan and pour in stock.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened. Reduce heat and cover. Let it simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for an hour.
- Meanwhile, peel carrots and halve lengthwise. Cut carrots and celery into (4 cm) chunks. Peel potatoes and quartered. Add vegetables to pan. Cover and let it simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Trim ends of beans and cut into (5 cm) lengths. Stir into stew, adding more stock if necessary until vegetables are just covered. Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in chopped parsley. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot.
This comfort food is an excellent source of nutrients including vitamins A and C, B vitamins and iron, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc.