· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 3 tsp. baking powder
· 1 tsp. salt
· 1/4 cup shortening
· 3/4 cup milk
Cooking Procedures :
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Set out baking sheet but do not grease. Set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to blend.
3. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender or with two knives. Mixture should be crumbly.
4. Add milk. Stir in with a fork just until mixture holds together and forms a ball.
5. Turn dough onto lightly floured cloth-covered board. Roll ball of dough around 3 or 4 times. Knead quickly and lightly by folding, pressing and turning. Repeat this 20 times to smooth up the dough.
6. With lightly floured cloth-covered rolling pin roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Use a round cutter to cut out biscuits. Dip cutter into flour before cutting each biscuit. Cut biscuits close together.
7. Use a spatula to place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet. For crusty sides, place biscuits about an inch apart. For soft sides, place biscuits close together in an ungreased round layer pan.
8. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.