- 4-1/2 lb. leg of lamb
- 2 cloves garlic, slivered
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs rosemary, stems removed, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. potato starch
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp. dry red wine (or lemon juice)
- fresh rosemary, for garnish
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups red wine (or chicken soup)
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Prepare a roasting pan.
- Place meat in roasting pan. Make several slits through the top fat layer, carefully not to pierce the meat, and insert the slivers of garlic. Set aside.
- In a food processor (or with a whisk), mix all the paste ingredients together and rub all over the meat. Allow to sit at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Roast the lamb in the center of the oven for about 30 minutes. Pour wine (or soup) over meat. Baste and reduce the temperature to 350°F (180°C) and continue to roast for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer or until done. Basting every half-hour or so. The wine (or soup) and the drippings will form a delicious gravy.
- For a tender roast, the centre should remain pink. After removing the lamb from the oven, allow the roast to sit for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serves 8 to 10 diners.