A true Scottish shortbread made with rice flour, which provides the fine, crumbly texture associated with good shortbread.
Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
· 3/4 cup granulated sugar
· 3 cups all-purpose flour
· 3/4 cup rice flour
· 1 tsp. salt
· 2 cups butter, cubed
Cooking Procedures :
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare an ungreased baking sheet.
2. Process sugar in a food processor for 30 seconds. Add flours and salt and process until combined. Add butter and pulse for about 30 seconds, or until mixture resembles fresh breadcrumbs.
3. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 2 minutes, or until a ball is formed.
4. Roll out dough until 1/2 inch thick. Cut out cookies using a 2 inch cookie cutter dipped in flour. Arrange cookies on prepared sheet and prick with a fork.
5. Bake cookies for 13 to 15 minutes, or until a creamy colour. If cookies are browning too quickly, reduce heat to 300°F.
6. Makes about 36 cookies.