- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup condensed beef broth (undiluted)
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 can (540 mL) cream-style corn
- 4 cups mashed potatoes, seasoned with 1 tbsp. butter, 1/2 tsp. salt (optional) and 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Cooking Procedures :
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, breaking up with into small pieces, until meat is no longer pink and becomes slightly brown in color. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Drain off liquids.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to pan and cook until softened. Add garlic, paprika, salt (if using) and pepper, stirring for a minute. Sprinkle flour over and stir for another minute. Add beef broth and tomato paste, stir to combine and cook, stirring until thickened.
- Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware. Spread corn evenly over mixture and top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle cheese on top, cover and cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours, until hot and bubbly.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve.
This dish can be partially prepared the night before it is cooked. Make mashed potatoes, cover and refrigerate. Complete step 1 and 2, chilling cooked meat and onion mixture separately. Refrigerate overnight. The next morning, proceed cooking as directed in step 3.