- 1 bunch broccoli
- 2 tbsp. (25 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp. (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded extra old cheddar cheese
- 1 Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) dry mustard
Cooking Procedures :
- Prepare Cheese Sauce: In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and mustard until cheese is melted. (Make-ahead: Transfer to a microwaveable container. Let it cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Reheat in microwave.)
- Meanwhile, cut broccoli into florets. Peel and cut stems into 1/4 in. (5 mm) thick slices. Place in a steamer over boiling water. Cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Pour cheese sauce over broccoli.
- Serves 6.