- 2 lb. boned and rolled veal shoulder roast
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 4 tbsp. butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 beef (or chicken) bouillon cube
- 7 slices ham
- 7 slices thick Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Prepare a lightly greased casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and 2 tbsp. butter; brown veal on all sides. Stir in wine and bouillon cube; cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes over low heat. Remove veal from liquid; cool and cut into eight slices.
- Place slices of veal into prepared casserole dish. Alternate veal slices with slice of ham and then slice of cheese; continue until all ham, cheese and veal have been used; set aside.
- Prepare sauce by melting the remaining butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour; blend well. Slowly add milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg; cook and stir until mixture thickens.
- Pour sauce over veal; sprinkle Gruyere cheese over top. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Turn on broiler and broil until cheese turns lightly brown.
- Serves 4.