Maruya (“Banana Fritters”) is one of my favourite merienda when I was in the Philippines. They sometimes place it in a bamboo stick and sometimes they shape it like a hand fans. I miss that moment especially after siesta that when we woke up, my mom cooks us merienda delicacies like this maruya during hot summer day.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ripe saba (banana plantain), peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- flour, for dredging · sugar
Cooking Procedures :
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk and egg, beat until smooth.
- Heat oil in a frying pan (or a large saucepan) over medium heat.
- In batches, roll banana slices in flour and then dip in batter. Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Roll in sugar. Place in a serving dish and serve.
Use sweet potato slices in place of bananas. About 2 medium sweet potatoes sliced 1/4″ thick.
Try Other Version in Cooking Maruya?