- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 oz (1 envelope) active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. + 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. breadcrumbs
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Prepare lightly greased baking sheet.
- Pour the lukewarm water (about 110°F/45°C) in a large mixing bowl, and add the yeast. Add 1 teaspoon of the sugar to activate the yeast, and stir gently to dissolve. Let stand in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Add the water, oil, 1/2 cup of sugar, salt and flour little by little and mix thoroughly. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and pliable.
- Place the kneaded dough in a large, lightly greased bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth (or hand towel) and let rest in a warm place for 2 hours, or until dough doubles in size. The ideal room temperature for bread dough to rise is about 75°F (24°C).
- When the dough has doubled in size, punch the dough down. Take out and place it on a floured surface. Divide it into 15 to 20 pieces. With your hands, form each roll into a ball. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet; sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top. Make sure to leave a little space in between the rolls. Let them stand in a warm place for an hour, or until they double in size.
- Bake the rolls for about 20 minutes, or until lightly brown. To test if they are done, gently press the top of one of the rolls; if it springs back, it is done.
- Makes 15 to 20.