- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 large carrots
- 1 large (1 lb.) Chinese white radish
- 1 large cucumber
- 4 stalks celery
- 8 green onions
- 4 oz. fresh ginger root
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large green pepper
Cooking Procedures :
- Combine all ingredients in a 3 quart saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until liquid boils. Remove from heat. Let it cool.
- Wash all vegetables. Pare carrots and radish. Cut cucumber lengthwise into quarters and remove seeds. Cut carrots, radish and cucumber into julienne “match sticks” thin strips about 2 inches long. Cut celery into 1/2 inch diagonal slices. Cut onions into 1/4 inch diagonal slices. Pare gingerroot and cut into thin slices. Remove seeds from peppers and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Fill a 5 quart Dutch oven half full of water. Cover and let it boils over high heat. Uncover and add all the vegetable slices. Immediately remove Dutch oven from heat. Let vegetables stand uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Drain vegetables in large colander. Spread vegetables out on a clean towels and allow drying 2 to 3 hours.
- Pack vegetables firmly into clean jars with lids. Pour Pickling Liquid into jars until vegetables are completely covered.
- Cover jars tightly. Store in refrigerator for at least a week before using.