- 1 lb. topside or round steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce (light or dark)
- 1 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 lb. sitaw, (string beans) or green beans, cut into 3 inches long
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, shredded (or a little finely grated lime rind)
- water (optional)
- 2 tbsp. coriander (cilantro) leaves, for garnishing
Cooking Procedures :
- Cut the beef into thin strips across the grains. Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, patis, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir to blend and then add the meat. Marinate for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok (or deep skillet) over medium heat. Drain the beef, reserving the sauce. Fry the meat until tender for about 3 to 5 minutes and then stir in the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the beans, lime leaves (or a little finely grated lime rind) and the reserved sauce. Stir-fry for 2 to 4 minutes or until beans is tender. You may wish to add a little water and then adjust seasonings according to your style and liking.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with coriander (cilantro) leaves and serve.