- 3 lbs. lean pork chops
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. sweet sherry
- 1 tsp. grated pared fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 tsp. five-spice powder
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. instant chicken bouillon granules
- Chinese Mixed Pickles (see recipe), for garnishing
Cooking Procedures :
- Trim chops, discarding fat and bones. Mix cornstarch, 2 tbsp. of soy sauce, sherry, ginger, five-spice powder and pepper. Add pork, one piece at a time, to cornstarch mixture, turning to coat completely. Cover and let stand an hour or two in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oil in a wok (or a heavy-bottomed skillet) over high heat until it reaches to 375°F. Cook 1/2 of the pork in oil until brown and cooked through for about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining pork.
- Cut pork into 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide slices. Transfer to a serving dish. Keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, combine water, chicken bouillon and remaining 1 tbsp. of soy sauce. Heat over medium heat until mixture boils. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture over sliced pork.
- Garnish with Chinese Mixed Pickles.