- 4 slices white sandwich bread (Pullman), about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 oz. Monterey Jack cheese cut in 1/8 inch thick slices
- 2 oz. Cheddar cheese cut in 1/8 inch thick slices
- unsalted butter, room temperature
Cooking Procedures :
- Heat a large cast-iron or heavy metal skillet over medium-low heat.
- Place two slices of bread on a work surface, and cover each with a layer of Monterey Jack and a layer of cheddar cheese. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Generously butter both outer sides of the sandwiches, spreading butter all the way to the edges of the bread.
- Place the sandwiches in the skillet, and press down only lightly with the back of a spatula. Cook until golden brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes per side, and the cheese has completely melted.
- Remove from the skillet. Cut in half lengthwise, and serve immediately.
· Cheddar cheese, thick slices of ripe tomato, and crisp bacon
· Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced ham, and whole-grain mustard
· Fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil leaves
· Fontina cheese, black-olive paste, and prosciutto
· Manchego and Monterey Jack cheeses and pickled jalapeño peppers
· Taleggio cheese with grilled red peppers and zucchini
· Brie, smoked turkey breast, and sliced pears
· Blue cheese, crisp bacon, and tomatoes
· Swiss cheese, thinly sliced cooked potatoes, and caramelized onions