- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- zest of 2 lemons, finely grated
Cooking Procedures :
- Prepare and preheat your griddle.
- In a large bowl, stir in together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, lemon juice, butter, egg and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently whisk them together, mixing just until combined.
- Fold in lemon zest. The batter will be thick and bubbly—similar to a cake batter. Spoon 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake, nudging the batter into rounds.
- Cook until the top of each pancake is speckled with bubbles and some bubbles have popped and then turn and cook until the underside is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200°F oven while you finish cooking the rest. Serve with Sweetened Sour Cream.
- Makes about twelve 4-inch cakes.
Pancakes can be kept for as long as 20 minutes before serving in a preheated 200°F oven.
As the pancakes come off the griddle, place them on a heatproof platter, one slightly overlapping the last, and cover them very loosely with foil.
For added tenderness and moistness, brush both sides of each pancake with melted butter before putting it in the oven.