- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lb. thinly sliced onions
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 quart beef stock
Cooking Procedures :
- In a heavy soup kettle, melt butter and heat vegetable oil. Sauté onions (salt added) over low heat until a rich golden brown. Sprinkle with flour and continue stirring for 3 minutes.
- Stir in beef stock that has been heated. Simmer over low heat for about half an hour. Skim off fat.
- While soup simmers slice French bread and spread on a cookie sheet to bake. Spread lightly with butter, sprinkle with garlic salt and toast.
- Pour soup into individual bowls with toast rounds and sprinkle top with grated cheese. You may place in oven until cheese melts.