Mini loaves that mix the spiciness of gingerbread with the moist richness of pumpkin are ideal for small households or for gift giving.
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- pinch of each allspice, salt and pepper
- 1 can 14 oz. pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup fancy molasses
- 3/4 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp. orange juice
Cooking Procedures :
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare and grease 9 pcs. of 3-1/2 x 2-1/2 inch mini loaf pans or 9-inch square cake pan.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat butter with brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and beat in molasses.
- Add one-third of dry ingredients into butter mixture. Stir in pumpkin. Stir in another third of the flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk. And lastly stir in the remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared, greased mini loaf pans (or cake pan, if using) and place in the center of the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes for mini loaves, 45 minutes for cake or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool in pans on racks for 20 minutes. And then turn out onto racks and let cool completely.
- To make the glaze – In a small bowl, stir icing sugar with orange juice. Drizzle over loaves.
- Makes 9 mini loaves.