- 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into even sized, large chunks
- 3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 2-1/2 tbsp. sambal oelek, more or less to taste
Cooking Procedures :
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Heat to boiling and then reduce the heat and simmer until cooked through for about 12 to 16 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander. Immediately place potatoes back in the pot you cooked them in and place on same burner, which has been turned off. Stir occasionally over next 5 minutes to let potatoes dry out.
- Pass potatoes through a ricer or a food mill. Alternatively, leave potatoes in pot and mash by hand using a potato masher or wooden spoon.
- In a small saucepan, warm buttermilk over medium-low heat. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in enough warmed buttermilk to the mashed potatoes to obtain desired consistency. Add salt and cracked black pepper to taste, stirring until well combined. Add sambal oelek, a tsp. at a time, tasting after each addition.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.
Leftover mashed potatoes can transform to another simple version dish. It is called Baked Egg Mashed Potatoes.
Baked Egg Mashed Potatoes
All you have to do is place leftover mashed potatoes in a shallow baking dish. Make a “well”, crack eggs into the well and cover with a thin layer of cheese of your choice. Bake until the eggs are set.
Try the other 5 variations:
- Mashed Potatoes (Original)
- Velvety Mashed Potatoes
- Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes I
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes II
- RECIPE: sweet potato shepherd’s pie « healthy body, healthy soul
- Herb Mashed Potatoes (Gluten Free) « The Happy Tummy: A collection …
- Ginger-Garlic Mashed Potatoes « Food Musings
- Alton Brown Pan Seared Rib Eye & Mashers. | yay, tacos!
- Pot Roast With Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Spicy fish and potato pancake | Fish & seafood
- Kitchen Capers – Light, Healthy, and Delicious! | The Kaleidoscope …
- romesco potatoes | smitten kitchen
- Know Your Vino » Review of the French Classics Wine Dinner
- What is a recipe that is interesting and different? | Gurupreet’s …
- Oven-roasted Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Cream of Yukon Gold Potato Soup | Adept Gourmet Blog